Tuesday, January 1, 2013

what is the difference of an abscess and a mast cell tumor? (in dogs)?

Q. thanks in advance

A. Mastcell tumor- growth or lump of mast cells (a type of white blood cell). Mast cell tumors can involve the skin, subcutaneous tissue, and muscle tissue. Also called mastocytoma. Cancer

Abscess An enclosed collection of pus in tissues, organs, or confined spaces in the body. An abscess is a sign of infection and is usually swollen and inflamed.

How much does treatment for anal abscess in a dog cost?
Q. My Jack Russell's rear end (next to the anus) is leaking a dark red/brown liquid. I looked it up online and I think it's a (ruptured) anal abscess. None of my pets have ever had this before; I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering for those who have had this happened to their pet - is surgery necessary? I know that the abscess must be drained and antibiotics are probably necessary... Does any one know how much all this would cost? (ballpark figure for checkup and treatment/surgery if necessary)

Thanks for your help.

A. probably just needs her anal glands cleaned out. It's pretty simple. My vet offered to show me how to do it, and i said no thanks! Basically they just squeeze the excess crap out like squeezing a huge zit just inside the dogs anus, with latex gloves on of course, and wow does it smell bad!

Retrobulbar Abscess in 2 1/2 year old dog?
Q. Early in December, I noticed swelling in one of my Miniature Aussie's eyes as well as some drainage and that he seemed to be in pain when opening his mouth. We went to the vet and by that time the swelling in the eye was gone. He was sedated and the vet informed me that his right tonsil appeared swollen so he prescribed Cephalexen. He continued to eat normally and act more normal. By the time he finished his medication, it seemed like everything was fine. About 3 weeks after finishing the medication, I noticed swelling in the same eye again. We went back to the vet and he was prescribed Amoxicillin and Baytril. During the visit, the vet mentioned that he could have retrobulbar abscess, but he seemed hopeful that the medication would correct the issue. Within a couple of days, the swelling was gone again and over the following 10 days I noticed some drainage from the eye. He just finished the second round of medication and appears to still be pained by opening his mouth. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with retrobulbar abscess, what worked for treatment, and what the overall cost was? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to find out what the real issue is and have it corrected. Thanks!

A. I would asked your vet about a carnassial tooth root abscess. They can appear as a swelling near the eye which can go away with antibiotics, but will come back. The most common course of treatment is removal of the tooth unless you can find a vet who will do a root canal.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment